Thierry Martinez inledde sin karriär med La Poste och jobbade sedan med Team EF och Assa Abloy. Han är nu officiell fotograf för Alinghi i Americas Cup.
How did you start with sailing photography?
– I was working as photographer ”inside” La Poste ( French Post ) when they build a boat for Whitbread round the world race in 1987. I did most part of 1989/1990 race ( following the race and doing photos mainly at start), and since that time have quit French Post to be free lance.
Alinghi, winner of LV Act 13
North shore of Maui Island. Surfer in action at ”JAWS”.
Which picture are you most satisfied with?
– Normally the last report I did. ;+)
Best regatta to shoot?
– Many, Archipelago Raid, America”s Cup fleet races, Moth World, Volvo Ocean Race, etc”
Worst regatta to shoot?
– Any one finishing under the rain by night.
Who inspires you (other photographers)?
– Erwan Quemere (FRA), Christian Fevrier (FRA), Carlo Borlenghi (ITA) and Gilles Martin-Raget (FRA).
2006 Round the Island Race, Isle of Wight. More than 1600 sailing boats. Part of the fleet under spinnaker at ”The Needles” in light wind.
What gear do you usually use/favor (camera/lenses)?
– Canon, only Canon! I have 2 EOS 1DS Mark II, 1 EOS 1DS , and 1 EOS 1D mark II 14mm, 16/36mn, 28/70mm, 70/200mm, 300mm, 600mn, and an extender 1.4 (all CANON) and a SEACAM housing system for the EOS 1DS Mark II, for under water and wet photo.
Computers: Apple 3 G5 desktop in office and a Laptop Macbook pro 17″.
Software: Photomechanic, Photoshop CS2 and a photo server online CUMULUS.
Super Maxi ”Mari-Cha IV”, 2004 Antigua Sailing Week.
Any advise for those who want to become a better sailing photograph?
– Do a lot of images. Take care of shutter speed (minimum 1/1000 with long lenses) 100 ISO, and shoot RAW! Don´t be you 1st fan, be realistic.
How do you see sailing photography develop in the future?
– Good question, as we are in Digital system now, it”s hard for us to predict future. I don”t know how young (or beginner) will make enough money to cover all cost to produce images and make a leaving when there more and more ©-free images in circulation”. We are all part of the process, and don”t know what will happen.
29 October 2006. Single-handed transatlantic sailing race: St Malo (FRA) / Ponte a Pitre (Guadeloupe/ French West Indies) 3543 NM. Start from St Malo on 29th Oct. Open 60 multihull ”GROUPAMA” surrounded by spectators boats.
10 November 2006. Single-handed transatlantic sailing race: St Malo (FRA) / Pointe a Pitre (Guadeloupe/French West Indies) 3543 NM. Roland Jourdain(FRA) skipper of open 60 Monohull ”SILL & VEOLIA” Winner in monohull class of 8th Route du Rhum.
2006 was a busy year!